Thursday, January 13, 2011

1/13 - Reflecting while eagerly awaiting summit photos

This blogger finds herself extremely well rested having been on a steady diet of Ecuadorian morphine derivatives and, more recently, extreme dose Ibuprofen and some good old-fashioned home cooking and TLC courtesy of Mom and Dad. Yup - it's the injured member of the WILD Cotopaxi team - who had an absolutely epic spill on a mountain bike, dislocating her shoulder and accumulating some pretty gnarly bruises and cuts. When I remember how I landed, I wish I had asked Kirsten to take photos before she helped me roll over...alas, I was too busy freaking out and trying to catch my breath. You may remember my esteemed team-mate Corinne documenting our truly WILD adventures later that evening from the JW Marriott...starting with the smoothest and shortest ride into town ever experienced in a 4x4. Ever. Obviously, that last bit is in no way true, but Corinne, Kat, and Ryan did help me keep my spirits up.

I managed to return to the States and eventually back to Durham, after first spending the night in Miami (what, you thought it'd be simple?) because RDU freaked out at the word "snow" and cancelled all flights from Miami to RDU. The night in Miami wasn't without incident either. Praise the sweet Lord, my shoulder popped back into place! After a short visit to the docs at Duke Sports Medicine, housed in a lovely little building by the stadium, and a new set of semi painful X-Rays, it was determined that all I needed was physical therapy. In fact, surgery is usually a LAST resort, especially for a first time injury...you hear that, Mr. Ecuadorean trauma doctor man? The only reminders I have of that fall now are a sore shoulder, road rash, punctures from where I apparently hit the chainwheel, and some fantastic bruises from the handle bars and the rocks I fell on. It's fun, each day I find a new bruise or cut :-)




As I sit here drinking wine with my dad (I challenge you, dear friends to present me with a better way to convalesce!!) uploading my photos to Facebook and eagerly awaiting the return of the rest of my team, I find myself reflecting on the trip.

I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude to each of my team-mates. Everyone came together to help me post-accident, when I was beyond upset, uncomfortable, frustrated and scared. Every last one of them leaders, they were the epitome of level-headed and crisis ready. Talk about Leadership Under Uncertainty!! And to be fair, it wasn't only under crazy circumstances that we came together to help one another. We were each others' support system down (up?) there, whether it was with encouragement and guidance or with physical assistance.

Although I am bummed that I didn't get to summit Cotopaxi with the rest of the team, I still feel a big sense of accomplishment. For most of us, myself included, each training hike was a new altitude record. We all had to push ourselves mentally and physically, digging deep to press ever forward. I am immensely proud to be a member of the inaugural trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment