Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Team 西安戰士 (Attempt) Summit Post

View of Summit from the Refugio

For a second, I thought Cotopaxi was an illusion. Covered in glistening snow, the summit seemed so near yet it was so far away. Eyeing the summit from the Refugio, I told myself repeatedly “This is it!”, I pictured myself climbing Cotopaxi, and before long, I was actually climbing the volcano under starlight (and headlamp light).



Learning how to use crampons and ice axes

Navin and I formed the group 西安戰士 (translation: Xi An Warriors). With steady steps and a lot of crampons and ice ax actions, we completed the first one and a half hours of the climb and reached the glaciers. At that point our guide, Marco, roped Navin and I to him and told us that we had four more hours to go. As each minute passed, we got higher in altitude and breathing got more difficult. From 17,000 ft onwards, I was in constant battle with the altitude. I was hyperventilating, my head started spinning, and I was collapsing uncontrollably every couple of steps I took. It was very scary. This part of the climb made hiking from the parking lot to the Refugio seemed so sweet and lovely. Millions of thoughts went through my mind, I told myself I did not go all the way to Ecuador not to summit, I thought of KY (who got injured from the bike ride), I thought of the team, I thought of my friends and family. I tried to concentrate on the music I was listening to, I tried drinking from my frozen water supply, I tried mowing down a chocolate bar… Finally, Marco had to let Navin join Team Naked Chocolate Spoon as each recovery from my collapse took longer and longer.

With a slower pace, I pushed on further, I remembered the ice caves, I remembered the cliffs, I remembered the ice bridges, funny how I couldn’t shut out the breathtaking view of Cotopaxi even when my head was about to explode. At around 5,600m (or 18,300 ft), I finally had to turn back as I was literally out of breath. I was 2.5 hours away from the summit. Yes, it was disappointing when I realized I wouldn’t be able to summit after all the efforts I had put in. But, I was proud of myself for pushing my limits and did not give up right away. After all, 18,300 ft was my personal altitude record! I am extremely proud of all my teammates who reached the summit; they have inspired me (especially you, Marcy!). I had added a new goal in life: Summit Cotopaxi.


Going down the mountain was more memorable than going up; I could almost feel air pushing its way into my lungs as I stumbled down Cotopaxi. It was apparent that I couldn’t balance myself, so Marco had me lay down on my back, and he told me to “just slide”. Sliding on glacier was SOOOO FUN, though at the time, I was less capable of appreciating the fun part of glacier sliding. Bumpy ice lumps were not my favorite part of the ride, however, I did not have the time or the energy to be concerned about rashes or bruises. Catching me by surprise, the sun rose from the side of the mountain as I was speeding down the glacier, again, I did not have the time or the energy to take a picture (bummer). I can only imprint that view in my memory; it was too magnificent for words.

Being on the highest active volcano on Earth was amazing so as being part of the first WILD team. I have learned more about team building and leadership within these 8 days than the time I have spent in all my management classes combined (a.k.a. Program Management and Management Principles). Why aren’t we replacing those classes with WILD expeditions yet?

Now the more important question: Who wants to climb Cotopaxi with me???

1 comment: