Saturday, January 22, 2011

Team Soledad: Summit Day, 1/12/11

There is an old adage that says “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” While this has long become somewhat of a cliché, the sentiment accurately encapsulates my climb to the summit of Cotopaxi. Roused from my bed in the black of the night, listening to the howling wind, I quickly dressed, wearing my lucky marathon shirt, and proceeded to fuel my body with watery strawberry yogurt and frosted flakes. Breakfast was a sugary sweet beginning to what would be a long and arduous journey. Travelling by myself with my guide Fausto, I was given the name ‘Team Soledad.’ While I was relieved that as a single person, I would be able to set my own pace, which I knew would be slower than that of the group; I did feel sad that I would not have the company or support of a buddy to help carry through the difficult climb. Nonetheless, as a person of faith, I found comfort in my belief that people are given the exact challenges they need to grow and develop.

Alongside Fausto, I began my ascent. Climbing the mountain, the stars in the sky were so bold and bright. Unfortunately, however, after a few hours, what became more prominent, were the lights from fellow climbers’ headlamps above me, foreshadowing the steep incline of the path ahead. A pivotal moment for me occurred at around 3:30 AM, half way into the climb, when I saw Angie coming down due to altitude sickness. Despite not feeling well, Angie was in great spirits, reporting that the rest of the group was about 2 ½ hours ahead but that it was “really beautiful up there.” My heart sank and thoughts of defeat entered my head. I knew that I wanted to make it to the top, but 2 ½ hours seemed like an eternity, and I knew that the last hour was the most difficult part of the climb. Fausto forewarned me that not only would the trek be steep but also that the snow would be soft, and I would have trouble finding my footing. Despite the discouragement, I told Fausto that I was determined to continue. My commitment to myself was that I would not quit unless I was experiencing severe physical symptoms of altitude sickness: vomiting or terrible headache. I knew that I would not let the mental challenge block me from achieving my goal. Fausto said “ok, vamos mas rapido. We cannot climb past 8 am, because of the risk of an avalanche.” Onward we went, climbing higher and higher.


Night turned into day as we reached the final stretch of the hike. Being able to at last see the path ahead was intimidating, but fortunately, as I got closer, I was greeted by the warmth of the group resting en route down to the bottom. The cheers and hugs made all the difference. Group members forewarned me that the next half hour would be difficult, but I knew that they had all made it, and that I could make it too. I approached what I thought was the summit-an almost vertical ice wall-and dropped my pack. Fausto turned to me and said, “Es possible?” I saw Nikki and Kirsten coming down and I said “Si, es possible!” I climbed up on all fours, took out my camera and began snapping away. Then, Fausto started walking further. I was excited to explore and ran into Jake and Shal, who reported that team Naked Chocolate Spoons were following behind. It was at that moment that I realized I was at a false summit. Disheartened and exhausted, I followed Fausto to the next part of the climb. I was greeted by soft, steep snow and was not in the best of spirits. However, sure enough the team N.C.S. was descending, giving me the determination to go on. Again, I climbed the path to what I would find as a second false summit. I could not believe that there was still more to go! Fortunately, there was another guide with two Swiss girls immediately ahead. Seeing me struggle, one Swiss girl cried out “come on, it’s 8 meters. You’re a woman-you can do it.” I knew that she was right. Again, on all fours, I climbed up and before I knew it, I felt like I was on top of the world! I made it! In the broad daylight, I could see the spectacular crater and the amazing mountainous landscape. At that point, I began to feel the altitude, and my head was pounding and stomach queasy. Luckily, the Swiss girl again came to my rescue with a cup of tea and cookie. The day’s mission was accomplished, and at 7 and change hours, I set a record of my own. All I could think was how happy I was to be alive!




Written by Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment